The American Cheeseburger

Finger lickin' good.
Felmat
Canadain

The American Cheeseburger

Postby Felmat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Iron Man, great movie overall, but the part where billionaire industrialist Tony Stark runs by Burger King for a cheeseburger just kills me. The movie, excellent as it was, would have been ten times better if they'd stopped at a little roadside diner and gotten some greasy burgers in a brown paper sack like real Americans.:patriot:

Over the years, I've developed a fondness for a really good burger. There's a place in Chico called Nobby's that makes pretty much the ultimate burger, at least in my opinion. They use fresh ingredients, local organic beef, and their claim to fame is that the let the cheese melt down over the burger to crisp on the griddle before they assemble the burger, so you end up with crispy fried cheese around the edges. A Nobby burger is a huge and messy thing, and it's a challenge to eat it in one sitting. Mrs. F. and I used to play a little game when we'd travel; when we stopped somewhere to eat, it was usually at some little roadside place proclaiming "world's best burger." After we found Nobby's, most everything else paled in comparison, so we started eating different stuff on roadtrips.

There's one other local place that has what I consider to be a phenomenal burger, and that's a local diner in Paradise called the Cozy Diner. They have a fairly recent addition to the menu called, appropriately enough, the Paul Bunyan burger. I think you'd have to be a lumberjack to finish the damned thing off. Two huge patties, two kinds of cheese, and all kinds of fresh produce. It comes with a double order of fries, and in spite of a relatively hearty appetite, I've never managed to finish the thing in one sitting. Not bad for $8.95.

So, what's your favorite American cheeseburger?
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:02 pm

a local joint here, Carytown Burgers and Fries, has a pretty decent burger. nothing amazing, though.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:35 am

Allegedly, the best place in town for burgers is called, curiously, Bird's Aphrodisiac Oyster Bar. No lie. They were voted best in the Big Bend area.

The problem with burgers here in town is that mom/pop joints are pretty shitty around here. Ted's Montana Grill is okay for chain burgers, but I can still make a better one here at home.

We mix into the meat before patty-ing; garlic, kosher salt, ground pepper, maybe some soy, maybe some Worcestershire, pretty generic mix for a burger, and then grill. I like mine a little more rare than Sarah, still juicy and pink in the middle.

I'll put some pepperjack on the meat while it's still on the grill.

Publix or Winn-Dixie, one of the two, has Italian hambaby rolls, and we toast those up just slightly. I'll put a little Datil pepper sauce on my roll before the burger. The sauce is from HERE and is fantastic. I get it at the Florida Folk Festival every year.

After that I like a big onion, maybe a beefsteak tomato slice, sometimes a few Jalapeno rings, mustard, and just a bit of ketchup.

Return to “The Kitchen”