Finger lickin' good.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:58 pm

I've never had Thai, but I want some.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:04 pm

OMG! Go eat some Thai food! You'll be better for it.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:11 pm

Tallahassee is pretty small, Felt, but I think it has a few options. I've wanted some for a long time.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 pm

yeah, it is pretty solid.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 pm

If you ever manage to find a Thai place, two good starting points are chicken satay, which is basically grilled chicken skewers, and pad thai, which is basically rice noodles with peanut sauce and other goodies depending on where you get it. The sauce can vary greatly from restaurant to restaurant, but usually it's some variation of tangy-sweet-salty. Generally very tasty. Thai curries tend to be more like soups--they usually come in a bowl, but can be a real taste treat as well.

Wait for at least the second visit before you try the grilled cat with Thai basil and red onions.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:18 pm

yeah, pad thai is my go-to if nothing else on the menu jumps out at me.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Thai food is so common here, there's actually a chain that's almost as plentiful as McDonald's, except you know, not rubbish.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 pm

I know of one down towards the darker part of town, near where I buy my comics. The other is farther, but in a better part of the city. I'll likely try that one.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:10 pm

It's been my experience that some of the best Thai places are quite close to comic shops.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Perfect!
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:44 am

That shite goes double for Vietnamese restaurants. If you ever find a Vietnamese restaurant next to a comic shop, it's imperative that you eat there! Sadly, while Mrs. felmat will tolerate Thai, she absolutely hates Nam chow. So sad, so sad.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:47 am

What doesn't she like about Vietnamese food? Ever had one of their sandwiches? Delicious!
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 pm

I'm not sure. It just doesn't appeal to her. Personally, I love it. I especially like the big round rice sheets they bring to the table with a bowl of warm water so you can make your own wraps. That tangy fish sauce is to die for.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 pm

I've never seen a Vietnamese restaurant in town. I don't know if any exist.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:15 pm

I have to go down to Folsom for Vietnamese, about a two hour drive. People up here are just too bigoted to support a Vietnamese restaurant. For most hicks around here, all Asians=gooks. it's sad. We have a fairly large Hmong population here, and there's a lot of prejudice against them. "GO HOME GOOKS!" Um, hello? They fought on our side in Cambodia, and we left them behind to be slaughtered by the Khymer Rouge when we pulled out in '75. No room on the helicopters I guess. Most of them made their way to this country fleeing through the jungles and living in refugee camps after we bailed on them. But I digress...

Luckily, we have two Thai restaurants up here on the ridge now, one pretty decent, the other exceptional. It took me a little while to convince them that when I ordered my food "Thai hot" I really meant it, but now they know. Sometimes I see them peeking out from the kitchen to see if they've managed to kill me yet.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Giggling and laughing, no doubt. I'm always disappointed when I try a supposed spicy dish at a slant bistro; no heat. Hopefully Thai food means real heat.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:57 pm

There's a Chinese restaurant in Paradise called Moongate, and they have some of the best Chinese food I've ever eaten, but they don't understand the concept of hot/spicy. No matter how I axe, or how emphatic I am about it, it's always the same level of heat--none. "I want this pork with garlic sauce hot enough to melt giant roberts into slag!" Thai food, on the other hand, can be horrifically hot. You have to be careful what you axe for.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:02 pm

You nailed a few our word censors in that post. Well done.

The best Chinese food I've ever had was at a place in Orlando called October Rice. It was just amazing. Nothing that I ever tried there had that generic Chinese food taste, everything was flavorful and distinct.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:01 pm

Most everything at Moongate is pretty fantastic, and the owner is very nice. She remembers you even if you don't come in for months on end, and not just "oh, hi," but she knows where you work, asks about friends, etc.

Two dishes there are for me at least particularly noteworthy: the garlic eggplant and the black mushroom beef. The only thing I'm not particularly keen on are their potstickers, but then again, I'm kinda picky about potstickers and the accompanying sauce.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:10 pm

i didn't think it was possible to screw up potstickers.
Felmat
Canadain

Postby Felmat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm just spoiled. There was a place in Chico called Windy's, well, there still is, but it used to be run by the mom, and now the kids run it. Not the same at all. One time, years ago, Mrs. F and I went in there to order some take out, and we wanted an appetizer. The mom said, in very halting English, "You try potsticker. You like. Everybody like!" So we did, though at the time I thought she was just trying to move another pair of round-eyes out the door as rapidly as possible. Well, it turns out that her potstickers were divine. Absolutely perfect. Just the right filling, crisped but not burned, firm yet moist. Simply delicious. The sauce too was fantastic. Just the right blend of ingredients. After she moved down to Sacramento to supervise another restaurant, the potstickers changed somehow, and they were never again as good as they once were. Also, I've never found potstickers that equal them in flavor at other restaurants, so I've pretty much given up on ordering them, though once in a while I'll indulge in a sticker or two. Gyoza, the Japanese equivalent, are usually better, though I don't manage to get to Japanese restaurants too often these days. Japanese cuisine is generally equaled in goodness only by their robert toys and cartoons.

Return to “The Kitchen”