As a lad...

Full of lies.
MT
fancy

As a lad...

Postby MT » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:41 pm

i played in a lot of dangerous places, at very young ages. i couldn't imagine my 6 year old nephew being able to do any of the stuff i was into at that age. parent supervision was minimal at best, nil to my recollection.

Memory #1: Farm Equipment
i lived in a quaint little neighborhood, devided into blocks. My block was two houses deep, six long. I lived on one of the corners. On the opposite corner of my block there was an autopart store and a small field, which i could get to by crossing all my neighbor's back yards.

In this field someone stored farm equipment, i don't know who, i never asked. There were tractors and those yellow flatbeds trailers that contruction equipment is driven around on. We would flip down the ramps and ride our bikes on them, probably. Also in this field were always a handfull of harvesters/combines. i may have to draw a diagram of my next explantion for those of you who have not played inside a farm combine. It had three cylinders, stacked horrizontally, with one foot gaps inbetween them. on each cylinder there were blades that processed the crops, like so:
anyhoo, we would play on this machine for hours on end. climbing through the gaps, climbing up over the blades, in and out, in and out. i think my sister would have a heart attack if she found her son doing that.

To Be Continued...
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:44 pm

Yeah, well I use to play in those things while they were running.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:49 pm

There was some kind of fertilizer plant or something behind my house as a child and they had huge bags of the stuff stacked like 10 or 15 high. You could climb up on top of one and from there jump to hundreds more.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:08 pm

Memory #2:"The Tracks" part a.

Across the street from the autopart store there was a few businesses, and a gravel parking lot behind them. If i crossed the parking lot, went up a little hill, and down a short path i find myself at the railroad tracks(don't worry i lived on the right side). Here there was all sorts of fun to be had at the age of six. teenegers partied up there, so there were plenty of beer bottles to smash. my favorite part about the tracks, was that there were always extra railroad "ties" lying about. basically they were 1x1x6' planks of wood. if we flipped over enough of them, we were bound to find some snakes. a fun time never escaped us.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Memory #3: The Tracks, part 2

every once and a while these railroad tracks actually had trains on them. they didn't move all to fast, but you needed a sprint to keep up with them. Keeping up with them was very important since our goal was to "hop the train" or jump onto it. Each cargo box had a ladder on each corner of the box. we'd run along the moving train, grab the ladder rung and hop on to ride for a few miles. the thrill wore off when we realized that we had to walk back b/c a return train usually didn't run for a few days.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Memory #4: Busted

The tracks were a large part of my childhood, probably b/c they were forboden. as i mentioned before, to get to the tracks i had to walk through a gravel parking lot of a business, this business also happened to be an autopart store. i rolled with a rough bunch of kids, one of the dirtier families in the neighborhood, and they were not the best influence on me. we would go up the the tracks and spray paint random curse words here and there, on overpasses and what not. being a bit of a free spirit while everyone else was painting profanities i was painting round rocks so they looked like ladybugs. eventually we ran out of paint, so the other kids would go down to the autopart store and boost some more cans. hours passed and we were out of paint again, mostly b/c i discovered that if i threw a big sharp rock at a full spray can it would fly around like a rocket when it got punctured. anyhoo, we needed more paint so my friend, Nick, and I went into the store once more. i hadn't stolen anything yet, but that was soon to change. with the grace of a magic guy i shoved a can in my sweatpnats, turned face and headed out the door. i was free and clear, but nick was taking too much time. i hung out in a near by parking lot waiting when i saw him get accompanied out by a few of the managers from the store. rubbish. i could of booked it, but i knew the guys probably knew me, adults, go figure. so i hung back, played dumb. he asked me for the paint, i pulled it from the bottom of my pantleg, it slipped down there. they said they called the cops, and a few seconds later i state trooper whizzed by, lights flashing. it was a coincidence. they didn't call the cops. i went home and hid in my closet for a few hours. i may have wrote a note and put it on my pillow. i was gorunded for a month, no TV. i couldn't see Nick anymore either, no big loss.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:39 pm

Memory #5: Arson

I've touched on this before, but it reinforces my point that kids don't have much fun anymore.

Growing up my worst influence was Jimmy Greasehabor(SP?), and also my best friend. He was a few years older than me, so i followed him around like he was a god. He moved away when i was in second grade, so this gives me a time line for most of these memories. He offered me my first fag(i declined), my first playboy, probably my first few swears. He also could ride a skateboard and if that isn't rebellious i don't know what is.

it was a snowy day, maybe even a snow day. A block and a half away from my house was a major highway, Rt. 31. crossing this road would be crazy for a 6 year old, i didn't do that until 7ish. but what i did do was go up to the railroad tracks and cross the highway on the overpass(peppered with graffiti). On the other side of the highway was the town park, play ground, pool, softball field, and some tennis courts. as noted before, the tracks were up a hill, perfect for slay riding on a snowy day, steep too. after an hour or so Jimmy and I were tired of running up the hill, so we made our way over to the softball field grandstands' dug out for a place to warm up. Being a badass Jimmy carried some sort of fire making device. a handful of trash and maybe a wooden bench later we had a pretty good fire started. on the horizon we spotted a group of kids coming near, we freaked out and split. paranoia struck hard and i avoided that park for several months. summer struck and the town pool beckoned, so i couldn't avoid the park anymore. oddly enough there was a brand new, mostly concrete grandstands. it might have been a coincidence.
dropshipbob
spine tingler

Postby dropshipbob » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:48 am

Wow, sounds like my childhood, except replace the train tracks and autoyard with woods and farmland.
And I didn't roll with a tough crowd untill highschool.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:50 am

i left the tough crowd behind in the 3rd grade. From there it was more farmlands and woods, wholesome adventuring.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:51 pm

Memory #6: The factory

across the street and a little down the hill there was a BASF factory. i'm not sure what they made, aside form a good bit of noise. they whole place was fenced in with key cards to open the gates, and a guard here and there. it was only a matter of time that my hooligan friends and i scaled the fence for an adventure. one of the more notable landmarks in my town was the BASF water tower, white with BASF on the side. we would spend hours trying to figure out what "BASF" stood for. "Big and Smelly Factory" "Bitch Ass Sex Fuck", we were not very creative. It was torn down in '00.

in between obscenities we would also fantisize about climbing the tower, and in my teen years having sex on the tower. i hate hights so that never happened.

anyhoo, back to '85, i only remember doing this once, maybe twice. we scaled the fence in a spot where the fence was covered by trees on the public side, and behind a building on the private. we hopped from building to building, taking cover and peeking around corners. eventually waiting for the side gate to open to let a worker out. we then ran out said gate. high fives all around. i feel i might have done this once more at night time, its all a little fuzzy.

and now, thanks to Google Maps, my hood:
photobucket resized it, wankers.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:16 pm

Bitch Ass Sex Fuck is hilarious.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:12 pm

that is why i rarely swear. it has a bigger impact when i do.
dropshipbob
spine tingler

Postby dropshipbob » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:23 pm

MT wrote:i left the tough crowd behind in the 3rd grade. From there it was more farmlands and woods, wholesome adventuring.

I left the tough crowd behind when I graduated high school, from there it was all down hill, and no adventuring.

In my neighborhood growing up, there was a shed on a part of land that wasn't used. We didn't know how it belonged too, and appearently didn't care, we claimed it as our own. It was filled with all manner of junk, and we'd often try to organize it to free more space within. We'd play games like "fortress", one team would barricade themselves inside using all the junk at hand, the other team would simply have to break in. We made our own modifications to the place, ripping up part of the corrugated sheet metal roof to create a skylight and building a ladder up to it so one could access the roof. A pit was also dug and layers of board and old carpet placed over it to make a "hidden hiding spot".
There was a group of kids from the next neighborhood over and they would often trespass upon it and tear everything down that we had built...but we'd just rebuild it, bigger and badder than before. We had all sorts of booby traps (that wouldn't work in a million years) and gun ports for Army battles, I think we even had a "war room" at one time complete with chairs and a map of the neighborhood. The kids from the other neighborhood would often use this shed as a place to stash their Playboys and other such magazines, which we would re-hide so that only we could enjoy them. This was how I first learned that women didn't have the same equipment as men.

It's gone now...just gone. Someone in the neighborhood bought the land, tore the shed down and built some kind of red brick split level ranch upon it's bones. Part of me wishes I had kept some small part of it as a momento. The fun we had there.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:26 pm

well, in my quoted post, the mentioned farmlands and woods are now over delveloped clone housing. i have no deisre to go back to that town.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:40 pm

When I returned to Grosse Pointe for my ten year high school reunion my parents house had been turned into a convenience store. Not too big of a deal, though, because it was later destroyed by a would be assassin.
dropshipbob
spine tingler

Postby dropshipbob » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:45 pm

I was really hitting a low point with that post, I don't know what came over me.

Return to “The Story Board”