Fallout 3

The best showgirls performing hourly.

Moderators: Alice, MT

KSC2-303
International Love

Fallout 3

Postby KSC2-303 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 am

First off let me just say that in the past 36 hours of having a PS3 in my possesion I've already played it more than the Wii.

I'm only at Lv 5 and completed about 7 quests so far, so don't spoils too much for me.

So, Ghost, and anyone else that plays FO3, let's talk!

-Do you play in 3rd or 1st persron view? I thought I would prefer 3rd as 99% of all games I've played, and liked are in that perspective. Halo are the only games I think I've ever played that were FP. Until Halo I didn't care for them, Anyway, I'm liking FP here/ 3rd seems awkward for some reason.

-Games where you choose your stats always piss me off. I never know where to put my points. I wanna be a tough guy, but I wanna be all brainy too. I've been putting most of my points towards "repair", "speech", and small guns for my perks. They seem to be the most relevant in the early game. Where are you putting yours?

-Even at Lv 5 the armour I'm still using is from the Vault. All the other ones I've found are shite. Even the Brotherhood of Steel stuff is all damaged and I'm not skilled enough to repair it.

-How much money do I really need?? I'm like totally obsesssed with picking up (and stealing) everything in site, them going back to Megaton to sell it off and make room for more. Should I even be bothering with that?

I guess that's enough for the first round. I'm really enjoying it except for the few bouts of rage last night. I was JUST about to fucking die when I was fighting that HUGE super mutant swinging the fire hydrant with the BOS. HE was coming straight for me and I hadn't saved in a while so I quickly did. Just as the save point took effect I was on screen for .5 seconds and he was already in mid swing and killed me. For about an hour (I'm so fucking stubborn) I tried to get past him, but the save point would load I would try to run and SLAM! Over and over again until I got lucky enough to cripple his legt with a critical shot and get a small opportunity to run backwards. Sure, I could have just went back to the last save point or used a stimpack, but I just hadda do it without!
Last edited by KSC2-303 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:23 am

You take games way too seriously.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 am

I do! They are rarely fun for me. As a matter of fact last night I compared them to cats. You pay for their food, vet bill, toys and spend your life covered in cat hair just for the 3 minutes of pleasure they provide when they decide to sit in your lap and purr for a while.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 am

how is that like a video game again?
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 am

He spends hundreds of hours playing them for only a few minutes of actual enjoyment.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:30 am

Exactly. They just frustrate me, but most of that is my own doing. I think it may be Silent Hills fault. I'm always so caught up in trying to get through a game with using as little heath and saves as possible. Most games don't even rank you based off that shite, but it's instilled in my playing for some reason. So I'll be running around in the red zone looking for a "free" place to regenerate while not wanting to use first aid or foods and I'll end up dying in the process. Then I'll fucking INSIST on getting through that trouble spot on health fumes.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:59 am

i only play like that on subsequent playthroughs. i try to have fun on the first go. i by no means rush through, but i'm not sweating over trying to get every gold coin on a level, or not being spotted.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:02 pm

I've never even tried to play like that, sounds like a chore more than anything.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:13 pm

no, playing a game where you have to get a job in order to move on and you only make $3 an hour(real time), when you need $300 is a chore. FUCK SHENMUE 2!
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:22 pm

This is what I told Sarah yesterday.

"I realize I've been spending way too much time playing this game, but there's a lot to be said for a game that lets you stalk the National Archives in a bombed out D.C., blowing the heads off of monsters with a rifle that belonged to Abraham Lincoln that you stole from the ruins of the Museum of History. It's maybe the best thing ever."

- I have completed maybe the first two steps in the main story quest, everything else I've been doing for 40 hours of my sad life has been side stuff. I'll look at the main quest if it meshes with what I'm up to at the time.

- 1st person. Third looks like shite. S. Peanut doesn't seem to be interacting with the world around her, just gliding over it.

- I'm 16 levels in (it caps at 20 for some reason) and I've put mine mostly towards small guns, lockpick, repair, and science. I can't throw a grenade to save my life, but I can shoot the eyes out of a raider long before they can get close enough to do me any real harm. These skills have served me just fine. I can plow through a pack of Super Mutants with relative ease, going for mostly head and upperbody shots in V.A.T.S.

- I'm using combat armor, but it's been repaired over and over. My repair level is high enough that I can keep my stuff in working order. In the early game, I just kept going back to someone to repair it for me, mostly Moira in Megaton.

- I've been using the same guns throughout the entire game; hunting rifle, sniper rifle, combat shotgun, and a special assault rifle. Those are my big ones, with a melee weapon for shite like molerats and dogs. I just keep repairing them with either found weapons or by paying someone to do it for me. With the sniper rifle, I found it at an early level and stashed it in a locker in Arefu until I found another one or could afford to repair it. I've also done that with armor and other stuff.

- I've made Arefu my base of operations. I keep going back to the West house and I put all of my stuff in a wardrobe there. Of course, it wasn't always so desolate...

- I collect almost every weapon found on a fallen enemy and use it to either patch up my weapon of the same type or sell it for caps. They do come in handy, but mostly to upgrade weapons.

- Sneak and backpeddle. Keep something like an assault rifle handy if you get swarmed or backed into a corner by multiple enemies. The hunting rifle has come in extra handy for whittling down health or sneak attack kills.

- I'm playing as a good character this first time through.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:52 am

The first time through???
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am

Ghost wrote:This is what I told Sarah yesterday.

"I realize I've been spending way too much time playing this game, but there's a lot to be said for a game that lets you stalk the National Archives in a bombed out D.C., blowing the heads off of monsters with a rifle that belonged to Abraham Lincoln that you stole from the ruins of the Museum of History. It's maybe the best thing ever."

I was just there last night and didn't see that rifle!

- I have completed maybe the first two steps in the main story quest, everything else I've been doing for 40 hours of my sad life has been side stuff. I'll look at the main quest if it meshes with what I'm up to at the time.

Damn, I've tried to do certain sidequests, but they are so fucking hard. I can't find that fucking brat's dad. Not because I can't locate him, but because I can't even walk 10 feet through that town without the fire ants roating my ass!

- I'm 16 levels in (it caps at 20 for some reason) and I've put mine mostly towards small guns, lockpick, repair, and science. I can't throw a grenade to save my life, but I can shoot the eyes out of a raider long before they can get close enough to do me any real harm. These skills have served me just fine. I can plow through a pack of Super Mutants with relative ease, going for mostly head and upperbody shots in V.A.T.S.

Can you bring yourself back to Lv 6 for a minute? First off, I think I'm relying on VATS to kill everyone. Especially Super Mutants. I spent all night cursing trying to get to the Washinton Monument. That whole area is swarming with them. One starts yelling and running at me and 4 more follow. I get one (maybe) in VATS , then I just keep running backwards trying to shoot without it until they kill me. Am I not strong enough yet? You mention picking off Raiders before they get close enough. I don't even attempt to pull the trigger until they right on top of me. Otherwise I'm just shooting at air it seems.

- I'm using combat armor, but it's been repaired over and over. My repair level is high enough that I can keep my stuff in working order. In the early game, I just kept going back to someone to repair it for me, mostly Moira in Megaton.

Yeah, repair is one of my favorite things so far. With all the skills points I put towards it and the Perks I chose that give it extra bonuses, I think I'm at 50 already.

- I've been using the same guns throughout the entire game; hunting rifle, sniper rifle, combat shotgun, and a special assault rifle. Those are my big ones, with a melee weapon for shite like molerats and dogs. I just keep repairing them with either found weapons or by paying someone to do it for me. With the sniper rifle, I found it at an early level and stashed it in a locker in Arefu until I found another one or could afford to repair it. I've also done that with armor and other stuff.

I had a feeling those would be the main guns used. MAybe because you aren't following the main quests you're not finding larger weapons or have you found good stuff and just not bothered using it?

- I've made Arefu my base of operations. I keep going back to the West house and I put all of my stuff in a wardrobe there. Of course, it wasn't always so desolate...

I need a HQ as well. Preferable someplace with a bed. I was thinking of using Three Dogs place. It's heavily guarded by BOS and has lots of storage and a cot.

- I'm playing as a good character this first time through.

HAven't decided yet. I stel lots of shite, but haven't killed anyone, yet.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:28 am

So how do you fit so much game time in a week, do you guys only work 4 hours a day or do you just forego sleep and play all night?
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 am

i finished PoP within 48 hours b/c i didn't work on sunday.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 am

I need a day off to just sit and play too!

exo, just a couple of hours a night for me. Probably 9-11pm. Of course I've only had it for 3 days, but I'm guessing that will be the norm. Come home, nahg out wth the fam, cook dinner, then get in tghere for a few before bed time.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:48 pm

I play a few hours before bed. Maybe a little before dinner. I've been playing this an awful lot during the weekend, though.

- I haven't done a single thing in that fire ant town. I walked in early on and then fled after I got cooked.

- I didn't go into DC until I was a much higher level, but I use VATS to kill most things.

- I can kill them from far off due to some perk. Sniper or something. I'm not sure what.

- I've found miniguns and missile launchers, but I haven't put many points into big weapons so they're not all that helpful.

- I haven't found 3 Dog's place. The place I use has a bed and storage.

- I avoided Super Mutants until I had better weapons and a higher level.

- Last night I killed every slaver in a slave camp using Lincoln's rifle.

- From what I've seen playing as a good character, playing it on the other side would make it almost a completely different game.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:09 am

Maybe that's it! You know how in a normal RPG when you're walking outside trying to get somewhere and encounter the 45th random battle in a row? Usally you're first responce is, "Ugh christ, not again. Boring!" in Fallout 3, when I'm trying to get to the next town and I hear enemies approach my first reaction is, "Fuck! I'm gonna die!." Perhaps I went too far into the main quest without doing enough side quests and I'm not strong enough for the emenies I'm facing?

So what the hell quests are you doing? Are you helping that Moira bitch do her book? Have you been to Rivet City yet? Are you delivering that letter for the girl in Megaton? What? I've been doing some side quests, but also following the main path at the same time. I haven't really gone out of my way to complete many yet.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:12 am

i would assume bad guys level up with you, so you are never outmatched.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:14 pm

They do.

So what the hell quests are you doing? Are you helping that Moira bitch do her book? Have you been to Rivet City yet? Are you delivering that letter for the girl in Megaton? What? I've been doing some side quests, but also following the main path at the same time. I haven't really gone out of my way to complete many yet.

Honestly not many. I'll get wrapped up in one if whatever my current task is allows it. And you have to understand that my "tasks" are often self-created. Last night I moved all of the plundered weapons out of Paradise Falls into my stash-room at Arefu. But I also rescued some kids from the slavers to complete a quest. If they mesh. If I'm wandering near DC and I need to find something in the Vault HQ, I'll go in. If not, I don't.

I am helping Moira with the book, yes. I'll do something here and there on it, and I think I have most of it done.

Delivering that letter was the first quest I did. Let me axe you this, though, did you find the girl dead in the middle of town? I sure did.

I have been to Rivet City and I've done a few quests there. Talking to Dr. Li is the farthest I've gotten in the main story quest.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:34 am

Dead girl in the middle of town> Which town, Arefu? I just got there last night, but let me tell you what happened prior to that!

I was looking online just to see if they made other bobbleheads like the one that came with the CE (I WASNT GONNA BUY THEM I SWEAR) and I came across a list of bobblehead locations in the game. I quickly backed out out of the page, but not before seeing that one was in Billy Creels house in Megaton. So, I picked the lock to his place and there he was sitting right in the middle of the room! I talked to him and he seemed okay with it. After our chat I started scouting around his place. All of a sudden he freaked out and started shooting at me! I was low on health, had no stimpacks and got pissed. I killed him in self defense and all of sudden Sherrif Simms barged in and started taking shots at me too. There was nothing I could I do, I was forced to defend myself. I ending up offing him and three other residents for good measure. I scaveneged the bodies, grabbed the bobblehead and left the premises. When I went outside, people were either trying to cap me or running away! I didn't know what to do! Finally things settled down. I looked at the stuff I got off Simms and noticed a key to the armoury so I figured I'd grab some guns and be on my way. So I open the door and who's fucking standing there?? The Deputy! The BIG FUCKING robert deputy who has a flamethrower and high-powered plasma canon! I ran for cover into Moriarty's saloon where he turned on me too! I took the Fat Boy blew the fucking robert to hell and murdered everyone in the bar including Burke and Nova. I felt like a total heel!

It was so weird. I actually felt bad about it afterwards. I almost wanted to restart from my last save point, but I had done so much since then and the autosave option had already reset after the first murders. I really wanted to try to play through as a neutral character, but now my destiny is forever changed. Latter while walking through the Wastes now wearing the Sheffifs hat and duster I began to accept the fact that I was a bastard. I think maybe this is my favorite game of all time too.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:49 am

Fuck this game sounds awesome.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 pm

It is.

I got the sheriff killed by Burke (I think) and took the key to the armory. That bastard robert cop was waiting on me and then the town came after me, but I just reloaded. I was only at maybe level one or two.

There is a quest, I don't know if you've done it, where an old man wants you to find the Declaration of Independence. I found it in the National Archives (I think) being guarded by a robert named Button who thinks he's actually the second guy to sign the document. He was awfully nice, so I didn't just kill him, and I agreed to work for him in order to forge the document and take the forgery back to the old man.

I had turned to leave when I decided, internally, that this was the document that thousands of men and women had died for and no god damned robert was going to keep it from me, a flesh and blood citizen of what's left of the United States. So I blew him to hell and took the Declaration back to the old man.

Any game that makes you think like that is, I feel, a real homerun.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:48 pm

HAHA! Awesome! There's a lot of times where I really have to think about what I wanna do. When I got to Arefu and saw the entire population consisted of only a handful of people, all of which are annoying, I seriously contemplated killing the lot of them. Normally in a game with any kind of decision making you may take a few seconds before choosing, but I spent the good part of a hour thinking about how easy it would be.

I encountered the old man, but haven't gone looking for the DoI yet. Right now I'm helping a Jet dealer out by supplying him Sugar Bombs cereal. I planned on setting that fucking bomb off, but soon realized I killed the dude who was gonna give me the reward for doing so and also killed the guy who was gonna reward me for defusing it. I'm torn. I think I'll just go to Megaton, save, detonate it, see what happens, then if I don't like the outcome (or even if I do) I'll just restart and see what the other option does.

I was thinking of maybe keeping a "generic" save file on hand. Kinda like the one right before I slaughtered those folks. I was completely neutral at that point and still have every option ahead of me. It would be cool to boot that up when I'm finished (if that's even possible in this game) and start my second go from there rather than restart all the way back in the Vault. I dunno, I probably won't have time to ever make a second character anyway, but it's a good way to save a few hours or so.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:52 pm

Arefu forced to me kill all of them. I was fiddling around with the controls or something, anyway, I accidentally shot Mr. King with my hunting rifle.

I killed the Sugar Bombs guys on purpose. S. Peanut isn't a fucking chem mule for filthy Ghouls.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:05 am

You have to have standards in the Wastes.

I won't spoil anything for you, but no matter what you decide to do with that bomb, let's just say you won't have to be sleeping in that bed with the Wests corpses any more.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:17 am

The way I completed the quest, the boy came home. That made it so the parents were removed. When all that unpleasantness went down in Arefu, the West boy was killed somehow. He didn't come after me, so someone else must have killed him.

And the West girl in Megaton, I found her dead on the dirt.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:03 pm

How far along are you now?

As much as this is completely expected of me, I have to admit that I've fallen out. Don't get me wrong, I love the game and haven't really lost interest in it so much as it's just not practical to play something like this with a family. I can't really justify sitting in front of the tv box for hours on end while someone wants to spend time with me and another wants to axe me for the 1,876 time "whozat" while pointing to a picture of Cookie Monster.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:15 pm

KSC2-303 wrote:another wants to axe me for the 1,876 time "whozat" while pointing to a picture of Cookie Monster.

That made me smile. Thank you.
They are all your hat.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Anytime. I need to catch her doing the Eagle Has Landed dance with DJ Lance Rock on video and post it up. It's pretty great.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm

KSC2-303 wrote:How far along are you now?

As much as this is completely expected of me, I have to admit that I've fallen out. Don't get me wrong, I love the game and haven't really lost interest in it so much as it's just not practical to play something like this with a family. I can't really justify sitting in front of the tv box for hours on end while someone wants to spend time with me and another wants to axe me for the 1,876 time "whozat" while pointing to a picture of Cookie Monster.

The realities of life. Part of the reason why it can take me months to finish a game.

Return to “The Stage.”