Last Movie You Saw/How Was It

The best showgirls performing hourly.

Moderators: Alice, MT

Ghost
Octothorpe

Re: Last Movie You Saw/How Was It

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:13 am

Amazing Spider-Man - I liked Andy Garf and Emma Stone better than McGuire and certainly Dunst, but some of it was directionless sillyness. I think it's time we gave the old, "villain uses a machine to try and do a thing" plot a rest. The Garf/Stone chemistry sold the movie for me. I know it's unfair to compare, but Amazing's dinner scene was no match for Raimi's first "Spider-Man" dinner scene with Peter and Norman.

But I still liked it a lot. Mostly. Peter seemed like a realish teenager, not Tobey McGuire's aw-shucks-Aunt-May-1950's-idea of a teenager.

The score was wretched.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:01 pm

I agree with all that and I'll add:

- Didn't need an origin rehash, especially not if you're going to use up almost half the film to do it.
- The Flash character was weirdly written, goes from being a complete psychopath to a overly compassionate classmate... WTF?
- My other WTF moment was PP's last line of the movie. It would have been cuter if her **SPOILERS** father hadn't just died in some horrible way.
- The Lizard as portrayed in the movie was boring, boring, boring and so was his whole plan. Ugh. Like Ghost said, I'm so sick of that plot device, come up with something new for vilains to do please!

All in all, I wasn't really thrilled with this movie, kind of bored actually, but I'm actually looking forward to the sequels. I preferred Spider-Man 2 by far, but as a series of films, I think this ensemble has more potential for future films.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Also, I saw a trailer for the Total Recall remake and it seems like they kept they essential of what made the original great (i.e. the chick with three boobs) so I'm on board.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:55 pm

The Dark Knight Rises - Rocky III.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 pm

YOU NIGGAS SAW BATMAN I KNOW IT

Ladies And Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen - I have a special reverence for Leonard Cohen, so I really loved this. It was filmed before he was a recording artist, when he was still a poet and a novelist. He's a funny, brilliant guy and he manhandles the English language. Nothing happens here, they just follow him around while he reads, writes and talks.

So yeah, if you don't worship Cohen this might kill your brain with boredom.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:44 pm

The Dark Knight Rises was the second best Nolan Batflick after The Dark Knight. See it in IMAX if you get a chance. I like how he wrapped up his Elseworlds version of Batman, and hopefully in a few years some new director can put his own spin on Batman while still aiming for the high watermark left by Nolan.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:56 pm

If you continue reading this and haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises then you'll be boned on the ending.

I hated, hated, HATED the "fly off with the bomb" rubbish. It's something that happens on GI Joe or some garbage.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm

especially all of the dialog about auto pilot throughout the movie. i was waiting for someone to turn and wink at the screen after saying something about it.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 am

Ghost wrote:If you continue reading this and haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises then you'll be boned on the ending.

I hated, hated, HATED the "fly off with the bomb" rubbish. It's something that happens on GI Joe or some garbage.

That didn't bother me. The only thing that did was showing Bruce at the end, too on the nose, they could have just shown Alfred smile and nod and it would have been a million times better.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 am

People tend to judge Nolan's Bat-Films on a harsher scale than every other superhero movie out there. I mean, the flying away with the bomb was a lot more plausible than anything in the entire Avengers film (which I also liked). Gordon surviving the fall of the truck was a lot more implausible.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:59 am

People tend to judge Nolan's Bat-Films on a harsher scale than every other superhero movie out there. I mean, the flying away with the bomb was a lot more plausible than anything in the entire Avengers film (which I also liked). Gordon surviving the fall of the truck was a lot more implausible.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:18 pm

I liked the movie, I just didn't like that bomb thing.

I think the movie as a whole didn't stand up to that excellent stadium collapse trailer, but I can't put my finger on what I thought was missing.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 am

TDKR: Other than Bane, which I thought was a great interpretation, the movie was rubbish, and I'm glad we won't have to see Bale breathing out of his mouth as Batman anymore.
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:38 am

I couldn't get back to the theater fast enough to see TDK, but Rises just left me so...apathetic.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:39 am

I felt the same about both.
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:47 am

Toy Masters - A documentary about the Masters of the Universe toy line and phenomenon. At least that's what they're marketing it as. The reality is that it's a piss-poor exercise in documentary film making, bordering on the offensive. No, scratch that. It was offensive. If you thought Michael Moore badgering a senile Charlton Heston was in poor taste in Bowling for Columbine, you'll be appalled at the treatment of Roger Sweet (one of the purported creators of He-Man) at the hands of these hacks. They spend, literally a third of their run-time on this guy, asking him leading questions, and showing interview footage that serves no other purpose than to humiliate him. Meanwhile, they have access some other people with great anecdotes and insight into He-Man which are barely given any screen time.

Compound on that, completely scatter shot narration: some at the beginning, then again 2/3 of the way through to abruptly introduce a segment on She-Ra which offers zero insight and ends just as abruptly as it started, presumably only included so that audience members will know who the hell She-Ra is in a later completely random segment about the real-life She-Ra and He-Man that visited sick kids.

They also add-in plenty of after the fact digital zooms on most of the interview footage, which seem to have been added solely to match the poor quality of the archival footage (i.e. vintage TV ads for the toys that look like they were recorded on VHS, digitized, compressed, posted on YouTube and then blown up to be used in the film) and distract from the fact that the editing is terrible and the interviews go on way too long.

There's a segment about the Masters of the Universe film which feels like it was lifted from a different documentary or possibly the DVD special features.

The film has absolutely no narrative focus, other than a running theme of "let's humiliate the senile old guy" and create some fake controversy over something nobody cares about (i.e. who created He-Man - The answer is nobody in particular, a conclusion most audience members will come to within five minutes).

The real shame, is that in better hands, this could have been a great documentary, they had a lot of great material, but it was just badly put together. Maybe once it releases, someone online can do a re-edit. As it stands, avoid it. 4/10

NOTE: The directors were at the screening and I could barely bring myself to clap. They come off as real assholes in the film. I wish I could have told them their film sucks to their faces.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Ugh, I should have known. God forbid they make a documentary about the rise and (quick) fall of the brand without trying to scandalize someone or sensationalize it. The only people interested probably already know these things anyway. I certainly did and I haven't been a fan since I was a kid.

I think there is a book on the subject that's just as focused on being hateful.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:05 pm

they don't have any sort of forum afterwards to give the directors feedback?
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:29 pm

They did. I left because I didn't have anything good to say, aside from "nice title font."
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Sounds like a sweet font, though.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:47 pm

if no one tells them they are not doing it wrong, how will they learn!?!?
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:08 am

Premium Rush - The title says it all really. An 80's-style thrill-ride that's non-stop action from beginning to end. Edge-of-your-seat high speed bike chases through Manhattan traffic, an over-the-top villain in the form of the always enjoyable Michael Shannon, and a ridiculous plot involving the Chinese mafia. Not much substance, but so very entertaining, and doesn't overstay it's welcome. 8.5/10
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:49 am

The Dark Knight Returns - I don't really like Frank Miller, but a lot of the Millerness has been taken out of this adaptation. I liked it a lot. The score is even great. RobertCop does an okay job as Batman, but he's too damn flat. This was only the first part, but I already like it better than Rises.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:57 am

Better than Rises? Surely you jest!
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:51 pm

IT WEREN'T SUCK
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:34 pm

The Battle of Algiers - A masterpiece. 10/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:56 am

Skyfall - Best Bond movie, bla, bla, bla. Anyway 9/10.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:09 am

Dredd 3D. Saw it twice. 10/10
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:05 am

I wanted to see Dredd, but it was only playing in 3D, so they can go fuck themselves. Based on your recommendation though, I'm looking forward to see it on Blu-ray in 2D.

Good use of 3D: Coraline, Hugo, and maybe Frankenweenie (I haven't seen it).

Bad use of 3D: Everything else.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 am

The first time we saw it they didn't focus the projector right, so the first seven or eight minutes was like watching without glasses (totally blurry) and once they "focused" it was still a bit blurry.

Tonight it was focused properly, and the 3D was actually good. Wasn't over the top, and the 3D was kind of part of the plot. There's a drug called slo-mo, and without the 3D the slow motion scenes wouldn't be as interesting. I do bitch about 3D, and I definitely would have preferred 2D, but I think it was okay here.

That said, I do believe the 3D + R rating killed this movie at the box office. The majority of the people that would want to see a Judge Dredd movie are people our age, and people our age will generally want to see a movie sans the 3D gimmick.

As far as the plot, it's like something you'd read if you just picked up a back issue of the comic. They didn't try to pick some grand story arc to translate into a movie, and I think that helped. The Stallone Dredd took about four different stories and combined them into one. The only things I'm not 100% satisfied with are the fact that they didn't incorporate the "in universe" cursing (Drokk, Grudd etc), and just went with standard fucks and shits, although upon second viewing I did catch a jacket with DROKK! on the back. The other thing is the costume redesign. Wasn't feeling it at first, but then I noticed they still had the iconic parts, just retooled into a modern, utilitarian style.

Also, the soundtrack is awesome, and adds tons of force to the movie. I hope they get the same guy for the sequels. That is, if there are any sequels. The movie only made back $20 mil of its $50 mil budget.

Either way, it's the only movie I can remember ever going back to see again in the theatre. The fact that it's in 3D, which I LOATHE, means it had to have been fantastic. If I had to give it a realistic percentile score it would be 99.99%
They are all your hat.

Return to “The Stage.”