Last Game You Played/How Was It

The best showgirls performing hourly.

Moderators: Alice, MT

Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:40 am

Finished Other M last night. Easily the worst Metroid game of the series. rubbish story, too linear, too Team Ninja and not enough Metroid. It's still a good game, just not as good as its mother(s) before. Kind of like the Mario Sunshine of the Metroid franchise. Mario Sunshine is a good game that gets a bad rap, but it's not as good as other Mario offerings.

Play it, it's good, it's fun, it's just dumb. That's the part I hated so bad. Prime and even Super Metroid seemed like intelligent games, maybe that's a trick of the silence, but Other M is stupid and loud. But it tries and it brings something new to the table.
Metroid
Conqueror of Shamballa

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:46 am

A gigantic ass. That's what it tries to bring to the table.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Very true. What did you think?
Metroid
Conqueror of Shamballa

Postby Metroid » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:46 am

It felt like a 3D fusion to me so I was okay with it for the most part. I loved the evolution of Ridley. I HATE Anthony "Remembuh Me" Higgs. By far the worst part of the game. I even thought given this is the first full blown voice game by nintendo that the voice acting was top notch for their first attempt.
Spliff
Swell

Postby Spliff » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:28 am

So I've spent enough time with the Dead Space 2 beta now, and it really is a fun/intense experience(well the game-mode they let you play anyway). It's one map, and one game mode. If you're a human you have to assemble a bomb, and then guard it while it prepares to detonate(45 seconds) and if you're a Necromorph you have to stop them from assembling it and detonating it.

The game can be pretty frustrating if you're a Necromorph. Playing as them, teamwork is pretty much 100% essential because you won't survive a 1-1, much less a 2-1 against a human. There's 3 different classes you can play as; the Spitter(big hunking guy shoots goo at you), the Pack(little kid looking things that can jump and have strong melee) and the little fetus things that shoot with their tentacles(they can jump too) and you pretty much ALL have to work together or else you're fucked. It's only a 4-4 and I found it best when you had 2 Packs and a Spitter and fetus thing. The good thing about it is the AI NM's are pretty smart. If they see you attacking a human they'll help you swarm them so that's pretty good.

The humans are pretty much what you played in part 1, except you can now do a quick 180(don't remember being able to do that in pt.1) and you've got stasis and telekenesis, and you can heal yourself, plus your strong as fuck guns, so they've got the Necromorphs outmatched pretty much everywhere. 2 good humans can pretty much have no problem taking out the NM's as they can heal as much as needed(health falls a lot) and shoot to their hearts content(ammo falls more)...so the game is pretty unbalanced there.

Still, when you've got a team that knows what they're doing it's REALLY fun.
Spliff
Swell

Postby Spliff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 am

Mass Effect 2 is a really, really, really good game.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:07 am

Maybe its overcompensating for the original being such shite.

I played about 45 minutes of RDR's Undead Nightmare expansion. Fun once I remembered how to play and stopped getting eaten. I may have time in 2012 to play it again.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am

I'm waiting until it's released on disc Dec. 1. Looking forward to it though.
They are all your hat.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:18 pm

i was playing Lego Batman for a little while, but it couldn't hold my attention. it didn't have the same nostalgic charm as the SWs installments. my mind was also distracted by my new job, so that could have also taken away from it.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:15 pm

I found time yesterday to play Undead Nightmare and it was a blast. Like I told Alice, any game or, fuck, ANYTHING that has a cowboy riding into a zombie infested town on a fucking flaming horse to bring merciless death? That's genius. FULL STOP
Spliff
Swell

Postby Spliff » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 am

So I got into the KZ3 beta and it is pretty damn good. A couple of bugs present but that's to be expected in a beta, but if they keep it as-is with some great maps, worthwhile rank system and customization it can take CoD out eventually.

Customization is sorely lacking, though. Only complaint.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:18 am

FYI this weekend XBox Live Gold is free until tuesday.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 am

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Really nothing to distinguish it from the first, but absolutely a rock solid game. Equal parts breezy fun and hair ripping murderous rage.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 pm

The murderous rage is why I rarely play the Wii. Even the hardest of the hardcore games can't induce a fraction of the rage that Mario can in his crazier levels. STOP FALLING DOWN HOLES YOU STUPID FAT FUCK!
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Assassin's Creed 2- fun, but glitchy. as entertaining as a twelve foot sword cock is, it became a little distracting. it didn't really effect the game, and i even wondered if it was a designed glitch since it is a program running within a program. also it also seemed that lighting markers were left in or some shite. maybe it is just my copy.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:10 pm

I wish that'd happened to me! I don't remember any glitches beyond a little clipping or something.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:13 am

i restarted my ps3, and now they are gone. it may have been a side effect to me not turning it off in several months.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:04 am

Alice wrote:I'd really love to play Red Dead Redemption, but it just freezes or decides to kick me out to the XMB while I'm playing. Fun. 10/10

I'd really love to play Undead Nightmare, but it just freezes or decides to kick me out to the XMB while I'm playing. Fun. 10/10
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:23 am

What's XMB? It never did that for me.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood - Basically more of the same from AC2, which is fine by me. Some things have been refined, combat for instance, and the ability to call assassins in to handle the kills for you is very cool.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:06 pm

The XMB is the main menu of the PS3. The menu where you select Game, Video, PSN etc.

They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Ah. My wallpaper disappeared from mine and it tried to output with something other than HDMI. No idea why.
Spliff
Swell

Postby Spliff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:06 am

Homefront
The campaign-So, there's not much in the way of a campaign, honestly. It's literally just an hour and a half/2 hour training run. Seriously. It just ENDS. There was some good stuff, and some great stuff, though. I loved how ballsy they get with the story, and there's some awesome Rambo moments.

MP-The real focus of the game and it's awesome so far. I was horrified to see Commando was in the game, but it only really comes into effect for gays trying to knife each other at the same time. No where near as awful as it is in MW2. Other than that it is fun, levels are just the right size, vehicles aren't too hard to take out(and have to be earned, any real dangerous vehicle requires a minimum of 20 kills in the game, or some fancy bonus shooting), and for the most part the guns are all in balance. There were some issues I had with SMG's, but it is fair to have them be more deadly in closer combat. No one uses shotguns which is weird since it's so easy(well for me at least) to get into some close combat with the enemy team. For the most part the levels are designed pretty great, except for one where it's too easy for a team of snipers to stay put. Also hit detection is EXCELLENT.

As far as issues, just a few. Hit detection being excellent? Not so much when someone is prone, for some reason firing at someone who's prone seems to grant them some protection. The graphics. Oh my GOD the graphics are bad. You can tell they were putting some effort into the game as the guns HAVE a nice amount of detail, but just lack the polish. It's like they were forced to wrap it up way too soon and the graphics took the fall. If the graphics were better, the game could easily challenge CoD's throne. So much more balanced. Not enough maps either, there's like 6 or so. Last thing are grenades, they have such bizarre flight patterns.

Over-all, definitely pick it up if you can find it for cheap. Don't pay full price, even though the MP is good.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:42 am

I tried to play Dead Space a few months ago. Didn't try for long. I don't have any summer classes, so I hope to at least play New Vegas.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Heavy Rain. I liked it, and especially the concept. Also like the idea of having multiple endings based on your actions (22 endings?). I just wish more of your actions played a role in how things played out. I also wish that with 22 different endings there could have been a variation as to who the killer was instead of having it be the same person no matter what. I also wish Team Silent would come back to Silent Hill and make a SH game with these gameplay mechanics.
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm glad you liked it. I really liked it too. If I remember, Madison and the FBI agent died in my game. I replayed from Madison's death when I was finished, but I didn't make it to the end.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 am

In my game Madison died (I got out of the rope the exact second the scene changed, so my game glitched and she died anyway), Norman died (stayed in ARI too long), I left Lauren to drown in the car and Ethan hung himself after he was convicted. I got the Perfect Crime ending.
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 am

I forgot about Lauren. Yeah, she drowned in the car in mine too.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:48 am

I'm playing through again. Hopefully I get a different ending, since I know what NOT to do.
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Re: Last Game You Played/How Was It

Postby Ghost » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:43 am

Arkham City - More like Arkham Shitty, amiright? But seriously folks, awesome. Starts off killer with a handcuffed Bruce in a suit kicking ass. I haven't played enough to reach any bosses or anything, but I can confirm that dropping into a group of thugs from a rooftop and laying them out with ease is the best video game fun I've had.

I will say that the controls trip me up as every button does around 50 different things when pressed, but your mileage may vary.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Re: Last Game You Played/How Was It

Postby exolstice » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:14 am

I would just smash random buttons during fights in the previous game.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.

Return to “The Stage.”