Last Game You Played/How Was It

The best showgirls performing hourly.

Moderators: Alice, MT

exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 am

I was sold on the concept alone.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:40 pm

Gears of War- the first time i played it a few years ago i was entertained enough to finish the game, but not overly impressed with it. i figured maybe i was just in a bad mood at the time, so i gave it another go. played for ten minutes and turned it off.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:00 am

Never played it. No real interest, don't know why.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:07 am

i don't like playing as muscle bound machismos. if i don't care if the character succeeds it is difficult for me to put any effort into it.

i'd mail it to you if you had any interest in it.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:39 am

Maybe at some point IN THE FUUUUTUUUURE
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:47 am

Dragon Age: Origins - I realized that my time is best spent not playing games that bore the fuck out of me. Back to the Loch with you Nessie!

God of War III - The gameplay could have been done in an NES game, and it has been done in an NES game, many times. As best as I can reckon, the only thing going for this game is production values, but damn are they ever good. The graphics and design are mind-blowing. It's a love-hate for me on this one. I'm probably not a good enough gamer to finish it, and the crass male-adolescent-fantasy vibe that permeates the whole enterprise means I won't be dropping in for a second visit once I'm done.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Yeah, Kratos is terrible and the story is juvenile but I enjoyed playing it. The platforming is God awful, though. I never used a bit of strategy the entire time, just button mashed my way through.

I may pick it back up at some point to play it with some of the new game perks, infinite item energy, health, etc.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:25 pm

Lego Stars War; Complete Saga(360)-

i dusted this one off b/c it seemed like the only appropriate game i had for a 5 year old. he did pretty well. he's gone now, and i'm still playing.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:45 pm

after four of five days of playing, and completing 5 1/2 of the episodes it is now telling me i don't have any game saves on my HD for lego. i assumed it autosaved all progress. bollocks.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Indianapolis Jones Lego did the same thing to me.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:24 pm

i was really looking forward to keep playing it, too. but now i don't. sure i was going to replay most of the levels to get the various challenges completed, but i don't want to have to start from scratch and replay the levels twice!.
Peeker
Sweet Transvestite

Postby Peeker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:09 am

that's cuz it's on the xbox.

I love all the lego games.

been playing a TON of Red Dead lately, fucking awesome game.

done all the missions and shite, now it's just wander, loot, kill...

the ending was a real "WTF?!?"

and the Bioshock games get a lot of play here.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Metroid: Other M - Played for maybe an hour or so. I'm not sure how Tecmo convinced Nintendo to let them run this experiment but I'm glad they did. The controls are a little off putting, movement control with only the D-Pad is pretty lame, but not a deal breaker. Metroid is my favorite franchise, so to see it given such a refreshing work-over is a real treat.

WHAT IS NOT A TREAT is that big fat ass and fat tits Team Ninja gave Samus. She's always supposedly been hot, but lordy.
Metroid
Conqueror of Shamballa

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Ghost wrote:Metroid: Other M - Played for maybe an hour or so. I'm not sure how Tecmo convinced Nintendo to let them run this experiment but I'm glad they did. The controls are a little off putting, movement control with only the D-Pad is pretty lame, but not a deal breaker. Metroid is my favorite franchise, so to see it given such a refreshing work-over is a real treat.

WHAT IS NOT A TREAT is that big fat ass and fat tits Team Ninja gave Samus. She's always supposedly been hot, but lordy.
:neverforget:
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:32 am

I felt lousy yesterday so I set up camp and played Metroid all day. Seriously, for like 8 hours. Unless it turns into a Mario Kart clone in the last act, I think I can talk about it with some authority.

I'm sorry to say it's a little too Team Ninja and not enough Metroid. There are too many forced encounters, Samus moves like she stepped right out of Ninja Gaiden, the controls are wonky (my poor thumb), the story is bad...

But I think I love it. I really do. So what if Samus moves like a ninja? She's always flipped around before, she's just doing it really fast here. I wish I could slow her down to a walk, but that's a personal storytelling thing I've always done while playing.

And maybe there are too many forced encounters, but you always feel in control of the situation. I've died in this game more times than all the Prime games combined. That's a good thing in my book. It made me play better and I was never stuck long enough to get frustrated.

The things I don't really care for are the story and the linearity. The story is just some claptrap about a government coverup, but Samus recaps fucking everything that happened on screen not sixteen seconds ago. I don't really understand that. It's just bad writing. And one particular character runs from Samus for a while thinking she's part of the Galactic Federation troop operation in the ship. Does she look like she is? She's red and yellow and her arm is a fucking gun and she rolls into a ball. Lousy writing. I miss Prime's style, actually. I loved scanning everything and reading the entries. Finding an old downed ship and scanning the hull breach to find out what happened was killer.

You can consider Other M like Fusion, if you've played that. You're on a giant ship with different environments where experiments are being run so you've got desert, and water, and jungle, etc. Tropes. None of it feels organic and it's all pretty samey. Compared to the worlds in Prime, it's a step back. You also always know where to go thanks to someone telling you to, "Check out Sector 2" and "Head to the Geothermal Power Plant". Again, like Fusion.

It seems to me like this is going to be a pretty polarizing game, but I really like it. It feels like an experiment and I think if Team Ninja is given the reigns a second time, they'll work out the kinks. Just let me fucking move and shoot in first person, Grodd dammit. It's not as big of a problem as the internet wants you think it is, but it can be damned aggravating.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:17 am

so there is no backtracking? not very metroid to me.
J. Spiffyman
Serious Business

Postby J. Spiffyman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:34 am

Ghost wrote:I miss Prime's style, actually. I loved scanning everything and reading the entries. Finding an old downed ship and scanning the hull breach to find out what happened was killer.

Agreed on all counts. I was extremely skeptical about Prime when I heard they were moving Metroid into first-person, but the beauty of it is that Prime isn't a first-person shooter. It's a first-person platformer, but you also have a gun that auto-locks onto targets. From start to finish I always felt like I was playing a classic Metroid game in 3D.

The scanning made Prime beautifully atmospheric; for once, you get to choose whether or not you want to care about the story. You're dropped onto an alien world with no idea of what's going on except for "You sense activity in this quadrant." It's just you versus the world. Back in the old days of video gaming when developers simply didn't have the space to add in NPCs and story exposition, pretty much every game was like that (Hi Mario, Hi Zelda, Hi Sonic), but Metroid's been the only game to stick with the lone gunman feel.

I haven't played Other M, and probably never will, but I hear you loud and clear about Fusion. A nice game, but everything's laid out for you right there, and the dialog is pointless. Every game is essentially "Samus is hired to explore a dangerous world and blow aliens up" anyways; no need to beat me over the head with that.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:05 pm

MT wrote:so there is no backtracking? not very metroid to me.

No, it's there. You just don't get to figure it out on your own. You don't have to remember that there was a door you could only open with super bombs three worlds over.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:43 pm

the remembering was the fun part.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Agreed. It's still a fun game, though. I'm just hard on it because I'm adverse to change and I want Super Metroid over and over.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm

J. Spiffyman wrote:The scanning made Prime beautifully atmospheric; for once, you get to choose whether or not you want to care about the story. You're dropped onto an alien world with no idea of what's going on except for "You sense activity in this quadrant." It's just you versus the world.

Prime is the only series I've ever played with headphones. I turned off the game music and put on headphones.
Metroid
Conqueror of Shamballa

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Other M was way too similar to Fusion in my book. Damn galactic federation cloning metroids shame on you! Do it again in less than 2 years and why am I so surprised! I do like how it sets up Ridley and Nightmare being in fusion though. Also, Queen Metroid in 3D made my pnats explode!
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 am

Yeah, basically the same story between the two. I haven't finished it, but I've really liked it. Way to spoil me on that Queen Metroid! God. Game ruined. LIFE OVER
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 am

Currently downloading Other M, but it's going pretty slow.
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

Ghostbusters for PS3 - I initially dismissed this game, but when I saw it in Alice's trophy list, I decided to get it for cheap. Then it sat unplayed on my shelf for about 6 months. Now I started playing it, and I have to admit it's pretty enjoyable continuation of the films. The gameplay gets a bit repetitive, but you actually do feel like you're part of the universe of the movies thanks to the graphics, voice acting, and story. If you're a fan of the Ghostbusters I'd say this is a must buy, but a rental for anyone else. 8/10

Before that I was playing:

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time - Takes everything I loved about the original PS3 version and improves upon it. Some of the best times I've had on my PS3. 10/10
Metroid
Conqueror of Shamballa

Postby Metroid » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:53 am

Ghost wrote:Yeah, basically the same story between the two. I haven't finished it, but I've really liked it. Way to spoil me on that Queen Metroid! God. Game ruined. LIFE OVER
WHAT?! Ummm....D: I got 100% and the playtime was 9hrs and 48mins.
J. Spiffyman
Serious Business

Postby J. Spiffyman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:24 pm

Metroid wrote:I got 100% and the playtime was 9hrs and 48mins.

Was just talking to T_C about this yesterday. I'm very disappointed that for a first run-through of a 3D Metroid game, you can still 100% in under 10 hours. That just feels sickeningly short.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:40 pm

yeah, that be lame.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Well I certainly don't have that time on my game.
Spliff
Swell

Postby Spliff » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:58 am

The Vanquish demo makes me look forward to the game a lot. Such a fun game. Only thing I hope they tweak is the cover system, well more-so the way you can hop over cover. Everything in the game is so fluid except for that. To jump cover you have to slide into it first, wait for the prompt to jump over, THEN you can finally hop it. Doesn't seem too bad but the prompt can take a couple of seconds before coming up, and that made me get blow the hell up more often than needed.

So much fun, though.

Return to “The Stage.”