Star Wars Episode VII

Sit down. Have a drink or get out.

Moderators: Alice, MT

exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Star Wars Episode VII

Postby exolstice » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 am

Sans Georges Lucas (after a 4 billion dollar payoff)... Are we tentatively excited or have we completely lost interest in all things geek related? Hopefully it renews with was once great about the franchise. My interest level is at 5 (out of 10), mildly curious.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Postby Alice » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 am

I heard that on the news today. I don't really care anymore, but it seems interesting. Disney is at the helm though, so you never know.
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Disney owns Marvel and that seems to be working out pretty well, film-wise.

I've been waiting for some "good" new Star Wars since the 80's and Episode VII can lead us to hope that it's a continuation of the story.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:32 pm

I was just thinking about how it more than likely will be a marketing bonanza. Marvel still has a fair amount of control of the comics, but Lucas pretty much has no creative control at all now. He just has shares.
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:06 am

He is still a creative consultant, whatever power that gives him. Hopefully, Disney has enough power and GREED to release the "original" films on Blu-ray.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 am

Original original?
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 am

Original, original, original. The first run theatrical releases. I don't even want to see Episode IV on the title crawl of Star Wars. I want to see Han shooting first again.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 am

Reading all these bullshit rumors has got me excited despite myself:

Now that this sequel is officially coming in 2015, it’s way past time for the rumor mill to crank into action. First off: Ain’t It Cool News passes along rumor/speculation that director Brad Bird and writer Damon Lindelof are actually hard at work on the Star Wars sequel — we already knew that Bird and Lindelof were working on a mystery “tentpole” project called 1952, which was vaguely compared to Close Encounters of the Third Kind — but what if that project is actually Star Wars Episode VII, and they’ve been working on it for a while already? That would be pretty cunning, right?

Lindelof (who was already making jokes about silly new Star Wars story ideas on Twitter) responded to this story obliquely, Tweeting: “If I ever need a suicide note, I’ll just print out this comments section,” and linking to the AICN article. Update: anonymous sources tell First Showing this isn’t actually true. [AICN]

Separately, what if instead of episodes 7-9, it’s actually episodes 7-12? That’s right, two new trilogies. At least, Dale Pollock, who wrote a 1984 biography of George Lucas called Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas, recalls that Lucas had planned for Star Wars to have 12 installments in all, of which 7-9 would be the most exciting. Pollock tells The Wrap, “The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’” And those films were supposed to involve Luke in his 30s and 40s, played by a different actor than Mark Hamill, whom Lucas was not impressed by.

Needless to say, it’s likely that whatever ideas Lucas had in 1984, they’re long since scrapped and probably have little to do with the treatments he just sold Disney. [The Wrap]

What about who’s going to direct Episode VII? At this point, it’s more speculation than rumor — although give it a few days, and “inside sources” will probably start coming forward with shortlists of directors under consideration. Pretty much every director with a pulse is being talked about as a possible new Star Wars helmer — including M. Night Shyamalan. (Who, it must be noted, already gave the world his own take on Star Wars with The Last Airbender.) [Huffington Post]

George Lucas made a point of telling Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill about the new sequels last summer, Hamill tells EW. Lucas invited Fisher and Hamill to lunch and revealed that three new Star Wars films were in the works, and swore them to secrecy. Does this mean that Hamill and Fisher have roles in the new films? Hamill says he doesn’t know anything about that. [EW]
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:21 am

I heard that. Damon Lindelof can go away though.
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm as interested in it as I am anything else. I'd like to see some good Star Wars rom-coms.

Return to “The Bar.”