Are We Downloading Movies?

Sit down. Have a drink or get out.

Moderators: Alice, MT

Ghost
Octothorpe

Are We Downloading Movies?

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:20 pm

That is to say, are we downloading legally? I was in the store just now, Bluray in hand, and something inside my head just sort of said, "No more." No more boxes sitting on shelves for 20 months until I decide I want to watch the movie again. It's not a monetary issue, I didn't put it back so I could put that twenty dollars towards something else, I just didn't want another box on a shelf. I don't get any pleasure from buying a movie, so I wouldn't miss going out and getting something. Hell, I rarely ever buy movies these days.

So is anyone downloading legally? I know the quality isn't as good as physical media, is it? What's the deal?

Speak directly into my briefcase.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Re: Are We Downloading Movies?

Postby exolstice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 pm

I use Netflix instant streaming, I record movies in HD off the pay movie channels, I borrow Blu-rays from the library, and I buy Blu-rays. I just like having different options. I no longer feel the need to own everything, but I still like having a decent amount of physical discs.

I would never pay to download a single title, which you aren't really buying, you're just paying full price to borrow. I don't know. It seems to me that since they have zero overhead, they should charge a lot less.

Netflix is good for catching up on obscure films or crappy favorites that I wouldn't necessarily purchase.

Pay TV is good to catch up on the new releases.

Borrowing from the library lets me check out Criterion titles I'm not sure about before buying.

Buying falls into three categories: rewatchable, really cheap so why not, and Criterions. Although, there are some titles I should have just left on the shelf:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=78172

As for picture quality, for Netflix anyway, it depends on your bandwidth and screen size. Same goes for sound. But in general nothing looks or sounds as good as Blu-ray.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I have a rule for Blu-rays, never pay over $20 for any single title (including Criterions) unless it's a box set or TV series.

So basically I only buy Criterions during the bi-annual Barnes & Noble 50% sale and on eBay occasionally, when I get lucky.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 pm

I use Netflix all the time. I don't really need to own all that Doctor Who or Battlestar Galactica when I can stream it whenever. But I buy Mad Men because I love the quality of the production and you can't beat Bluray for detail.

I think my willingness to buy something depends on what it is. I couldn't get to the store fast enough to buy "Jaws", but do I really need to own a physical copy of "Cabin in the Woods"? That's the movie that made me think about this. I really liked it, I want to own it, but do I need to hold it in my hand? I don't think so.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 pm

I only need to own movies I love. And I'll always prefer physical copies over downloads or streams.
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 am

Good example, I'd buy Cabin in the Woods if I found it under $15, but otherwise I'd wait for it to show up on pay TV.
MT
fancy

Postby MT » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm

bluray is the only way to optimize the equipment in my media room. i can dowload 1080/720 shite, but the sound still won't be the same. same for 3d. so basically i'll preview stuff i don't love yet, then buy the BD.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 am

Netflix, like CATV is shite. I spend more time looking for something to watch than actually enjoying a movie. When I finally do make a selection it's either something I've seen a billion times or something I obviously didn't give a hoot about to see it in the theater or but the BD when it was released.

And yes, Ghost, the tangible item is always right decision.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 am

For quality, not for sanity.
KSC2-303
International Love

Postby KSC2-303 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I actually haven't purchased a new BD in ages. Even flicks I enjoyed in the theater, I find by the time they come out, I don't really care so much. Catalogue titles interest me even less. Like many others I always wanted Indy, ET, and hundreds of others to finally hit BD, but now I just find it a total waste of money to repurchase something I've seen a million times just to see it clearer.

Still, I just can't NOT have something tangible for my money. I'll never trust a collection in the "clouds", I guess.

Return to “The Bar.”