Goest.

Sit down. Have a drink or get out.

Moderators: Alice, MT

Alice
Downtown Julianne

Goest.

Postby Alice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:24 am

Have you been reading post-Flashpoint reboot DC. I've been reading just Batman, Batgirl and Detective Comics. With this upcoming Night of the Owls thing they make it seem like I should be reading the other Batbooks too (Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey etc.) Is that shite really necessary? With the Ultimate Universe I read every Ultimate book that's released, but that's because I enjoy them all. I'm not 100% keen on reading a million more books just to get one coherent story. I haven't read DC regularly in a while. Do I really NEED to read all of those to get the full experience?
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Re: Goest.

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:14 pm

I'm sorry, I don't even know what Flashpoint is. I haven't bought a comic since Blackest Night started, whenever that was. Like the first or second issue of that made me give up.

I'd probably buy something called Night of the Owls on principal, though.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 am

Currently reading (DC):

Action Comics
All-Star Western
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batman and Robin
Batwing
Batwoman
Birds of Prey
Catwoman
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Green Lantern
Justice League
Nightwing
Supergirl
Superman
Swamp Thing
The Flash
Wonder Woman
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:36 am

How's that new Swamp Thing?
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Good so far. I've only read a couple of issues, and Alec isn't even Swamp Thing yet.
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Is he not dead? I guess I need to look that up.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 pm

From what I understand thus far is some people have a close relationship with the earth. They can "hear" the earth talk to them. At any one time there's one "Swamp Thing." It's more like an appointed position. Alec was doing his experiments, they exploded and he jumped into the swamp as usual. Instead of dying he lived, but he now has memories of "being a monster" and of a woman with white hair (Abigail Arcane).

After having enough of the memories he's visited by the current Swamp Thing. He's told that there's one Swamp Thing at a time, the mantle is passed and the retired Swamp Thing joins the parliament of the trees (basically they grow roots and become part of the earth). Since Alec didn't die/become Swamp Thing like he was supposed to when he died the current Swamp Thing gave up his place in the P of the Ts to find Alec and beg him to accept the position. Since uprooting means a Swamp Thing withers away he then dies, but leaves Alec with the message to avoid the white haired woman at all costs.
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 am

Does he refer to himself as Swamp Thing?
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am

Not yet. But the fact that it's sort of a legacy deal, and they ALL call themselves Swamp Things kinda irks me. Surely they weren't all turned into Earth Elementals in the swamp.
They are all your hat.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:20 am

I don't know that I like that. Swamp Thing thinking he was Alec Holland was tragic and made for a better character. Moore's run, if I remember, said there was always a Swamp Thing but it wasn't too in depth. Still, you can't (or shouldn't) compare it all to what came before. Even if you want to.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 pm

So, here's the deal. In Flashpoint, Barry fucked with the timeline, fucked some shite up, and then tried to fix it the best he could. Some characters got a new origin, some got a slightly altered origin and some pretty much got left alone. This DCU is much younger. Bruce has been Batman for roughly ten years or so I think. Clark prolly showed up about the same time as Bruce's parents were killed. Most of the new series takes place in the present with things like Action Comics, Detective Comics and Justice League taking place five years ago showing origins.

Action Comics

I really like this one... so far. Shows a younger Kal-El. They went back to 30s style stories were Superman is still strong as hell, but CAN be hurt, so it's not like he's a living god. I also like that his "suit," even though this is a modern story, is very similar to 30s style. A blue tee with the S, a pair of jeans with a cuff and knee patches and some old brown boots. I also like that Rags Morales draws Supes as muscular, but without portraying him in a way where you can see every muscle in his body.

All-Star Western

Follows Jonah Hex and Amadeus Arkham on their adventures in 19th century Gotham. The story is narrated by Arkham. Jonah is essentially the old west cowboy Batman and Amadeus is Robin. Jonah sees Arkham as a pain-in-the-ass tag-a-long, and is constantly having to save him. Really enjoying it, and the art is fantastic. If you like violent westerns you'll like it.

Aquaman

REALLY liking this one so far. Aquaman has always been the butt of jokes by people who have never read any comics, and just base their knowledge of him solely from Superfriends and shite. I think he's always gotten a bad rap, and it's just like that in the comic. People are constantly giving him shite, and you can just tell he's having to hold back punching some of these people in the face. His mom was a mermaid, his dad was a human and he's currently living on dry land with Mera. From exposition it's said that he lived in Atlantis for some time, became king but he decided to live on dry land for now.

Batgirl

With the new timeline Killing Joke still happened. According to the narrative it happened three years ago. Babs was in a wheelchair for those three years, but I don't think she was ever Oracle. She had a surgery to fix her legs and it worked. Sadly, the series isn't all it could be. People wanted Babs back, because they like the character. Except now that she's back she acts nothing like the Babs we knew, so there was no point bringing her back if they were gonna write her as a character other than the one we wanted. Might as well have just made up a new Batgirl. It could be argued that she doesn't act like the Babs we knew because she's had a different history, but it still doesn't make it any better. People wanted Babs back because they liked the character. Gail Simone obviously didn't understand this, because she's essentially writing a completely different character and calling her Barbara Gordon. Book would be good if Gail Simone didn't suck.

Batman

Batman is one of those compressed timeline heroes. Things like Killing Joke, getting his back broken, his recent death and return and Batman, Inc. all happened. They just happened in a shorter amount of time. This series takes place in the present. Bruce is finding out that an old myth about the "Court of Owls," a secret group of Illuminati assassin types, inhabiting Gotham's shadows since the origin of the city might not be a myth, which unsettles Bruce, since he thinks he knows the city inside and out. I'm liking it, because some of the themes are genuinely creepy.

Batman: The Dark Knight

This one is in the present as well. There's a new toxin being thrown around and Scarecrow, Ivy and Bane are all on the suspect list. Good, but nothing spectacular yet.

Batman and Robin

Probably the best of the Batman books right now just slightly above Batman. Deals with Bruce and Damian's relationship as father and son/Batman and Robin mostly. Damian doesn't enjoy working with Bruce, who never tells him 100% of anything, because of his parental instinct to protect him. There's a lot of "Because I said so" from Bruce, which makes sense, but Damian still says it was easier to work with Dick as Batman, and easier to look up to Bruce when he wasn't around.

Batwing

Due to Batman, Inc., Bruce now has "Batmen" all over the world. This series follows David Zavimbe, the African Batman. I honestly thought this title would be pretty rubbish, so I didn't even initially read it, but I heard some people say it was REALLY good, so I did, and they were right.

Batwoman

Pretty good. Art is great, and even though Batwoman is a lesbian they don't beat you over the head with how progressive they are that they have a gay title character or "LOOK, SHE'S SO GAY! REMEMBER?" Storywise, the first arc is more or less just setting up that she'll be a Spider-Woman type character torn between wanting to work for the good guys, but kinda being forced into working for the bad guys.

Birds of Prey

So far it's pretty 50/50. Nothing amazing, but nothing horrible. The team consists of Black Canary, Starling, Katana and Poison Ivy. Batgirl refused to be on the team, because the current members are non-law abiding (Dinah is wanted for killing someone, Starling is on several watch-lists, Katana just kills without remorse and Poison Ivy is... Poison Ivy), then she was on the team for a minute and then not and...

Catwoman

100% cheesecake tits and ass manga fan-fiction. There's some plot in there, but it's meh at best.

Deathstroke

Slade's an old dude, and people are starting to think he's over the hill in terms of merc work. He's decided to wreak chaos to prove he's not, and he does. He killed some rich girl playing merc in the first issue and now the girl's parents are sending merc after merc after him to get revenge. Then there's the McGuffin from the first issue. His first job in the series was to retrieve a briefcase. He gets the briefcase and is surprised by what's inside. It has become a major plot point, but it keeps getting teased "Pulp Fiction" style, and everytime he opens it to show someone I keep thinking in my head, "What's in the boooooooooooox?" Detective Mills style.

Detective Comics

This one is past adventures of Batman. It's shows him a bit less experienced, so he's less like stoic, all-knowing Batman and more like The Dark Knight interrogation scene Batman. I'm not a fan of some of his dialogue, but I do like his almost anti-hero like attitude at times. It's suiting of a younger Bruce. The first couple of stories haven't been wowing, but they've been enjoyable.

Green Lantern

Pretty sure GL pics up pretty much straight after ...est Day/...est Night whatever the fuck. I liked GL, but it got too complex with all the rainbow lanterns and shite for a while. I guess the GL history wasn't altered much at all by Flash's timeline dickery. It picks up with Hal sans ring since the blue dwarves took it back. But a GL ring has chosen Sinestro, so they let him become a GL again (there's some weird, schemey plot going on with the blue guys). Sinestro goes back to his home planet and finds that his Corps has enslaved his home in his absence instead of protecting it. He flies to earth, talks trash to Hal and constructs him a ring. The catch is Hal has to help him free his people. The ring Sinestro constructs for Hal can't be used against its creator, and he tells Hal that if he helps free his people he can keep the ring.

Justice League

Pretty much the origin of how the team got together five years ago due to a Darkseid attack. It's really good, but since it's an origin story mostly it's really easy to sum up. I do like some of the interactions between the characters as they meet for the first time.

Nightwing

Dick returning to the Nightwing costume after playing Batman. It's not a bad series, but there are a lot of "convenient" plot elements, and while the story isn't boring it's not something I'm in a rush to read every month.

Supergirl

Pretty good. Not a lot has happened yet. She's come to earth and fought Supes, who then taught her about the abilities earth's yellow sun gives Kryptonians.

Superman

Aaaaaaaaand here I go. Yes, to me Superman is boring as fuck. I think I'm not 100% against liking Superman himself. I loved him in Kingdom Come, but in most other titles I just can't get into them. It's usually the stories, which I guess is why I like Action Comics, but not this so far. Very few of Supes' rogues gallery do I find interesting. In issue one he fought a Human Torch rip-off alien. In issue two he fought an invisible alien that everyone could see except him. In issue three... I had to stop reading, because there are PAGES of dialogue that's mostly a recap of the first two issues and Clark and Lois spouting rubbish about the newspaper status quo. Which brings me to my next complaint. I don't give a shite at all about Clark Kent and the goddamn Daily Planet. I don't care that one news company bought out the other news company and that if Clark works for X newspaper instead of newspaper Y that's on the verge of going out of business he'll be working for someone Superman has been fighting against etc. Now, I know it sounds almost hypocritical of me to say that since I love Spider-Man, and it's almost the same thing, but, while it IS a plot point in Spidey, it's not 90% of what Pete does outside of the costume. I know all you Supergayboys prolly hate me for not liking Superman, BUT I'M FUCKING TRYING! This shite is a chore for me to read though.

Swamp Thing

I've already said a fair bit about this one, but I really like it so far. After seven issues Alec finally gave in and let himself be taken by the green and turned into Swamp Thing. And from what I understand I think they are gonna try to hit on that "So sad. Swamp Thing thinks he's Alec Holland." note, but just in a different way. I think they're still gonna make him a tragic character. Or at least they better.

The Flash

I think I've only read one issue of this so far, so I can't really comment one way or the other yet. Although the one issue I read was pretty good.

Wonder Woman

I'm liking it. This Diana wasn't made of clay. It was a cover story. Apparently, Zeus can't keep his D in his pnats, and his wife has a reputation of being jealous and killing his illegitimate offspring if she finds out about them. Zeus banged Diana's mom, and to keep wifey from aborting it covered it up by saying they made her out of clay.

And now that I wrote all of this shite someone better start picking up some of these books so I'll have someone to talk about them with.
They are all your hat.
Spliff
Swell

Postby Spliff » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Ha-ha, you like a Superman book.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 am

Prolly because he got smashed between a train and a building, bled from his ears, strapped in an electric chair, electrocuted, tortured and gassed. But this Superman is more like Hyperion.
They are all your hat.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Fri May 11, 2012 6:20 am

Action Comics: Haven't been arsed to catch up to current yet.

All-Star Western: Still great.

Aquaman: Still great.

Batgirl: Shite.

Batman: Still great.

Batman: The Dark Knight: Average.

Batman and Robin: Still great.

Batwing: Average, but predictable.

Batwoman: Interesting.

Birds of Prey: Still great.

Catwoman: Shite.

Deathstroke: Still good. (UNTIL ISSUE NINE WHY THE FUCK DOES ROB LIEFIELD KEEP GETTING WORK NOW HE DRAWS AND WRITES THIS FUCKING BOOK THAT HE RIPPED OFF HIS MOST POPULAR "ORIGINAL" CHARACTER FROM!)

Detective Comics: Average.

Green Lantern: Haven't read past first arc, but good.

Justice League: Average.

Nightwing: Still good.

Supergirl: Still good.

Superman: Sigh. Still awful to read.

Swamp Thing: Still fucking fantastic.

The Flash: Still good.

Wonder Woman: Still good.
They are all your hat.
Spliff
Swell

Postby Spliff » Sat May 12, 2012 12:43 am

I had heard Detective Comics went downhill, news confirmed. Also that is hilarious Liefield getting on Deathstroke.
Ghost
Octothorpe

Postby Ghost » Sat May 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I think someone offered him the job out of ironing and just to see how much of an arrogant prick the guy can be.
Alice
Downtown Julianne

Postby Alice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 am

Some of you nerds have to start reading some of these, so I have someones to discuss this stuff with. I'll give one more review and you lames can choose what to (steal and) read.
They are all your hat.
exolstice
Commander-In-Chimp

Postby exolstice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:55 am

Currently reading Ultimates Vol.2 that I borrowed from the library. Like Blackest Night in a lot of ways in that the writer seems to think killing off characters and shock value equates with good writing. At least the story makes sense, unlike Blackest Night.
Death to Videodrome. Long live the New Flesh.

Return to “The Bar.”